Smoothies are a favorite delivery mechanism of mine. When you see the health ads promoting eating 5 fruits and vegetables per day this can be tricky for some to achieve. Not when you are a smoothie making machine, you can achieve this target in one blend. Often in a day that starts with a smoothie I can take in anywhere between 10 to 20 different fruits and vegetables. It makes it way easier to up your intake so at least you can get to the starting line of ensuring good health – you’re eating the right stuff!
This smoothie recipe goes down well with my kids too – the chocolate sells it every time, but I am using real chocolate here: organic cacao powder. Cacao delivers a good hit of calcium, magnesium, iron and fibre. When combined with the healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats from the peanut butter and avocado, this will keep you feeling nicely full for a few hours.
Serves 2-3 glasses | Takes about 10 minutes
- 200 ml water
- 200ml soy, oat or almond milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 0.5 avocado
- 2 tbsps good quality peanut butter
- 2 heaped tsps of organic cacao powder
- Topping: 1 square of good quality dark chocolate, grated
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender
- Blitz for 1 minute
- Grate a square of dark chocolate over the top to give it an extra chocolately taste
Yours in health and happiness,