Fermented brainfood for your gut. Simple to make and will keep for ages in a jar in your fridge. Add a dollop of this to your daily dinner or lunch and you will be getting a good dose of healthy bacteria and probiotics that will, over time, help to balance the good and bad bacteria in your gut. In this recipe, we are wild fermenting, which means that we are not using a starter culture for the bacteria. With this method, we do not know exactly what strains of bacteria we are culturing but I think that is just fine by me.
You will need:
- An organic red cabbage (white or green are good too but red looks way better)
- 2 tbs of sea salt
- 2 tbs of honey, ideally raw if you have it
- A large mixing bowl
- A large glass jar with a lid
How to make it:
- Chop and dice up the cabbage into small bits
- Get a big mixing bowl, add the cabbage, salt, and honey
- Massage this with your hands for about 10 minutes and then leave it to rest for a few minutes
- Check out the liquid in the bottom of the mixing bowl now, the salt is starting to draw out the liquid from the cabbage – this is good!
- Pack in handfuls of the massaged cabbage into the jar, ensure that all the cabbage is submerged under water. Use extra tap water if you need to.
- Make sure all the cabbage is submerged under the water, put the lid on and add a post-it note stating the date of Day 1.
- Leave the jar somewhere dark and cool and check and taste it every day for about 4 or 5 days. When you like the taste, you are done.
Add a portion of this to your daily meals and you can forget the probiotics from the pharmacy. Enjoy!