Fermented brainfood for your gut. Simple to make and will keep for ages in a jar in your fridge. Add a dollop of this to your daily dinner or lunch and you will be getting a good dose of healthy bacteria and probiotics that will, over time, help to balance the good and bad bacteria in your gut.
You will need:
- An organic red cabbage (white or green are good too but red looks way better)
- 2 tbs of sea salt
- 2 tbs of honey, ideally raw if you have it
- A large mixing bowl
- A large glass jar with a lid
How to make it:
- Chop and dice up the cabbage into small bits
- Get a big mixing bowl, add the cabbage, salt, and honey
- Massage this with your hands for about 10 minutes and then leave it to rest for a few minutes
- Check out the liquid in the bottom of the mixing bowl now, the salt is starting to draw out the liquid from the cabbage – this is good!
- Pack in handfuls of the massaged cabbage into the jar, ensure that all the cabbage is submerged under water. Use extra tap water if you need to.
- Make sure all the cabbage is submerged under the water, put the lid on and add a post-it note stating the date of Day 1.
- Leave the jar somewhere dark and cool and check and taste it every day for about 4 or 5 days. When you like the taste, you are done.
Add a portion of this to your daily meals and you can forget the probiotics from the chemist. Enjoy!